(FoxNews.com) – The Monaco Grand Prix is set to cut from its traditional two-day format to just three days, F1 CEO Chase Carey told reporters during a press conference at the Monaco GPon Tuesday.
“We’re going to look at a three-day race,” Carey said. “With high humidity and the high sun, we felt a three-day race made the most sense for Monaco.”
The race will still be the longest in F1 history at 1 hour, 16 minutes on the first day (Saturday) and Sunday morning (Sunday) and will now be the fastest Grand Prix ever, Cannon said.
The Grand Prix has been voted as the most important race in the calendar only twice before – 2005 and 2007 – since its start in 1990. Last year the race had to be cut to just two days because of rainstorms that delayed the start until Monday morning.
Worst Grand Prix in F1 History: Top 25
Monaco race organizers have already heard from at least 10 different teams interested in running races at the track in the summer, F1 general director Ross Brawn said.
The three-day format to the season-ending race will not affect the hotels in the principality or enable any of the Grand Prix races not yet planned to be staged at the circuit, he said.
Monaco hosts a record 19 races each year and has been voted the most important Grand Prix since 1995.
Since entering F1 in 1992, 14 of the 20 editions have been held in Monaco, including a record eight in a row.
Like FOX Sports / FOX Fantasy Auto Form a Racing Team, Compete for Prizes